welcome, Guest

Add Reply

When A Part Of You Still Hoped For What Could Be, gabe/captain

There was once a proverb about knowing one's enemy more than he does himself, followed in the same breath by that one must also learn, and know, the truth. That knowing the environment is equally as important, if not more so. It was something that had stuck with Elliott ever since the very first day he'd been assigned as Gabriel Ashton's Handler, and rightly so given that the man in question was a con-artist, a criminal by anyone's standards. But he hadn't gained his reputation by sheer luck or coincidence.

Gabriel was smart—smarter than Corp-Sec ever gave him credit for—and it was why Elliott was still so stuck in that age-old proverb. The doubts still rattled around in the back of his mind every so often, questioning if this wasn't exactly where Gabe wanted to be. Right in the thick of everything, surrounding himself in the proverbial enemy's environment so he could learn, adapt, and overcome. Sometimes he even wondered if that was why Gabe had been so compliant with having a Handler.

Was he just biding his time? Learning everything there was to know about him until the day he could use it to his own advantage?

Surely it was just paranoia from all of Elliott's years in Corp-Sec.

So, as Gabe approached the desk on his way back from the break room, Elliott cast him something that could vaguely be passed off as an amused smile and nodded towards the mug in his hand. Precinct coffee wasn't exactly the best option for the avid caffeine fan.

"That won't taste any better than the last cup you attempted and hated y'know," he stated, eyebrows lifting slightly as though surprised he'd even bother.

player maeve
age 27
pronouns she/her
time zone GMT
Permalink / Apr 13 2018, 05:29 PM
corp-sec
He hated it. It was stupid, inefficient, not to mention old fashioned. Above all, the ridiculous coffee machine in front of him made terrible coffee. He was making do, trying to cheat the system and force it to somehow make stronger coffee. The thing couldn't even be programmed for god's sake. It was cruel and unusual punishment, to him and to the corp-sec agents who had to use it. Not that he cared much what they thought, but still. Horrific treatment, in his mind.

He'd gotten used to jumping into different sleeves, having to do so for his job and simply to keep himself safe. Being back in his original body was strange, somehow stranger than being in something random, and it was taking some time to get used to. He'd already shattered one mug on accident, and he only took a little pride in the fact that it had been one of Elliott's supposed favorites. He hadn't done it on purpose after all. Clones didn't have muscle memory in the same way regular sleeves did, and he was still trying to cope with it. It wouldn't take long, but still. He was careful as he moved to pick up his freshly brewed cup of coffee, somehow lukewarm and still watery despite his best efforts.

He sipped at it as he made his way back to Elliott's desk, still offended by the fact that he was supposed to work there with his handler and didn't have his own proper desk. Ridiculous, and inefficient. Then again, it wasn't like he wanted to help the agent anyway. It bought him time though, time to plan and figure out how to get away.

"Just because I think you're all heathens for drinking this shit doesn't mean I don't need a caffeine fix. How do you all expect me to work without decent coffee?" He dropped into the chair next to Elliott's, the only prize he'd been given after complaining about the lack of his own desk. The fact that having to share his seemingly made the agent uncomfortable only made Gabe happier to invade his space. "You know, I'd be way more efficient if I could have my own computer. Tablet. Anything, really."

player captain
age 24
pronouns she/her
time zone GMT -5
Permalink / Apr 14 2018, 04:26 PM
edgerunners

"Everyone knows you don't get decent coffee from the breakroom, dumbass. Adriena from the front desk brings the good stuff in from the cafe down the street, but, unfortunately for you, she only brings it for the people she likes. Perps not included." he retaliated, the sting from remembering his favourite mug shattered on the floor colouring his words. He tracked him as he dropped into the seat, still very much aware of how little space he had now that his desk wasn't just his own, and hated it. Hated that he had to be so close. Hated that he had to share.

Hated that Gabe still kept complaining.

"The last time you had access to a computer, Saito Chemicals lost a hundred and eighty-eight million credits that same day. Completely vanished, like they'd never been in the account in the first place." The look given to Gabe then was a hard one, told the Edgerunner that Elliott knew it was him even if it had never been proved. "I'm not stupid enough to give you tech."

Fact was, Elliott just wasn't allowed to give Gabriel anything even if he did want to. Corp-Sec had enough on file to know it would be—ultimately—a terrible idea and it wasn't worth the risk. Not yet, at least. But what it did mean was that once again Elliott had to play the role of baby sitter supervisor whenever Gabe was around his computer thanks to the man in question being an opportunistic little shit. Not a fun time for him, either.

"All I need from you right now is your knowledge. And don't try and tell me you need access to files and data because I know you have some weird eidetic memory or something. I've read your case files. You don't forget anything."

player maeve
age 27
pronouns she/her
time zone GMT
Permalink / Apr 15 2018, 06:35 PM
corp-sec
Gabe grinned lazily at the accusation, leaning back in his chair and stretching long legs out to invade even more of the agent's personal space. The crime hadn't been proven to be one of his, despite the fact that he'd used Elliott's computer to do it. The fact that Elliott knew it had been him but didn't have any proof only made the victory sweeter. Not that it meant he was going to actively admit to the crime there and then; he wasn't stupid, after all. Elliott was likely to want to throw him back on ice for a minor offense, never mind virtual bank robbery.

"While I can't comment on the who or how of that theft," he began, cocky smirk firmly in place, "I will say they were assholes and got what was coming to them. Animal testing is just completely unnecessary in this day and age." So sue him for having a soft spot in his heart. He didn't feel one bit of remorse, even if the crime had only been committed to see if he could get away with something right under Elliott's nose.

He sipped at his coffee, nose wrinkling as he made a note to attempt to charm Adriena into bringing him better coffee. Now wouldn't that put a sour expression on Elliott's face. Something to look forward to. Savoring the thought almost had him missing what Elliott said next. Only almost.

"Aw, agent, that almost sounded like a compliment." He grinned as he knocked his foot against Elliott's chair. While he did enjoy solving some of the cases, simply because it put his mind to work during an otherwise hellishly boring day, annoying Elliott was another bright spot in his day. "You're a decent agent. There, now we've both complimented each other. Look at us, being civil."

player captain
age 24
pronouns she/her
time zone GMT -5
Permalink / Apr 16 2018, 05:43 AM
edgerunners

The tick in his jaw belied how tightly his teeth were clamped together, a glance at long legs now stretched out offering the source of his sudden irritation. He knew the Edgerunner was doing it purely to get a rise from him—it seemed to be a game he'd started almost the very moment he'd met him—but it was difficult to let it go. Of all the criminals he could have been paired with it seemed as though he'd been stuck with the short straw. Although, in saying it, perhaps he'd much rather have Gabe as his responsibility than someone like Edgar, because that would have only ended in disaster.

Still, the glib and almost proud aura that surrounded Gabe at that moment was almost stifling. Why had he agreed to be a Handler, again?

"That corporation was also bankrolling Aprico, a nonprofit trying to help people afford needed sleeves. It tanked though when Saito Chemicals pulled the plug on their funding in order to recoup their losses." Was it a bitter reality check? Maybe. He hoped so. From what he'd read in Gabriel's file, the consequences of his actions didn't seem to feature much in his thought process. That was going to change real quick if they were ever going to work well together, though.

The foot tap against his chair had the tick in his jaw jumping again, his eyes closed like he was trying to remind himself that yelling at Gabe would do nothing other than play into his hands. What made it worse was that even the voice stress analyzer he had implanted couldn't pick up on whether or not Gabe was actually lying with his supposed compliment. The cons of working with someone who'd actually made a living out of lying to people and getting away with it.

"Calling someone decent is barely a compliment, Gabriel. And calling them weird, I'm sorry to inform you, is possibly the furthest from a compliment, too." he answered, coaching himself through not just kicking Gabe's foot and pushing his chair back and away from the desk as far as it would go.

You're above this behaviour, Elliott. You're a Corp-Sec Agent. This doesn't bother you.

This doesn't bother you at all.

player maeve
age 27
pronouns she/her
time zone GMT
Permalink / Apr 16 2018, 09:28 PM
corp-sec

Topic Options
Add Reply

site affiliates

guest assistance only. this is not our chat box.